An introduction to anonymous diploma registration
University of South Florida
(Play narration by clicking above.)
Central questions to ask about attainment
- What proportion of students graduate from a school or institution?
- What proportion of students graduate from a state/system?
- What proportion of students transfer and eventually graduate?
- Several waves of concern over dropping out from high school (Dorn, 1996)
- Each wave has been accompanied by attempts to measure graduation
- Numbers imply a political judgment
Key dividing lines
- K-12 v. higher ed focus
- Education v. demographic methods
- Measuring v. judging